The Jaker

Mostly rational politics, with occasional rants about how a few crazy Republicans are ruining the country.


Support The Jaker


Tuesday, May 17, 2005
This is not how politics should be run
The NY Daily News reports that Mayor Bloomberg has already spent $10m on his re-election campaign, "including $267 on tropical fish, $210 for Mets tickets and $255 on a nifty clock that counts down to Election Day".

As I said before, I think there's something wrong with a candidate spending so much of his own money to get elected ($73m in 2001, a record outside of Presidential elections). It has the feel of subverting the will of the people for personal gain, believing that you know better than the people. And I think Bloomberg is clearly in that territory (hence I support Gifford Miller for Mayor).
posted by CB @ 8:37 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger CB said…

    Dan,
    I realize the connection is not clear. My problem is that a candidate's money is not spent on fostering debate about the issues, but rather painting a one-sided picture that favors that particular candidate. Frankly, I believe that in our current political system, money effectively spent on advertising significantly influences votes, and that any decent person can win a race if they spend enough money. Therefore I believe that the candidate that spends tons of money is not fostering a fair playing field whereby the average voter really has a choice.

    Is that any more clear? I fear that it's not.

     
  • At 4:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is a good point. I found another canada mazda site that goes into even more canada mazdadetail.

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That was helpful. I think you might be interested in checking out saltwater reef tank

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


Recent Posts
Archives
Contact Me
Email me
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER