The Jaker

Mostly rational politics, with occasional rants about how a few crazy Republicans are ruining the country.


Support The Jaker


Monday, August 08, 2005
How will the new Supreme Court come out on the death penalty?
Justice Stevens spoke out against the death penalty over the weekend, which got me thinking about Roberts's views on the matter, which are largely unknown. The Stevens article mentions that Roberts's wife is a member of a group that opposes the death penalty.

I don't exactly know why, but I have a hunch that no matter what other flaws Roberts may have and however he may frustrate me on a number of cases, I think he'll come down on the good side of the death penalty debate. I think the Court has been trending toward, and he could be a decisive vote for, the establishment of a nationwide prohibition on the death penalty, at least until legislative bodies improve the judicial system to create an exceedingly onerous burden of proof requirement for a capital sentence. I may be wrong, but I hope not.
posted by CB @ 9:01 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


Recent Posts
Archives
Contact Me
Email me
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER