The Jaker

Mostly rational politics, with occasional rants about how a few crazy Republicans are ruining the country.


Support The Jaker


Monday, July 17, 2006
Another lesson from France: don't bitch about gas prices
For 3 days in the Loire Valley (after 5 in Paris, where my wife and I didn't take the metro once, and a cab only once because of time constraints), I rented a typical tiny European car to drive from town to town.

The car I'm sure gets great gas mileage, which is a good thing, because when I was filling it up prior to returning it, I added just under a half tank of gas, which cost me 31 Euros, or approximately $39!

That means filling up that little car from empty would cost $80!

No wonder they have such good train systems in Europe. And pollute less. And don't have to go to war in the Middle East to protect their lifestyle.

P.S. On this last point, I've just begun reading Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma", which makes a compelling argument in the first hundred pages that most of our food system is dependent on fossil fuels (which goes into the fertilizer that grows the midwest corn that's in so much of our food in some form or another). So not only do we drive our dependence on the middle east, but we eat it too.
posted by CB @ 2:56 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


Recent Posts
Archives
Contact Me
Email me
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER