The Jaker

Mostly rational politics, with occasional rants about how a few crazy Republicans are ruining the country.


Support The Jaker


Monday, January 31, 2005
Is Iraq Free Yet?
From the early reports, it appears the elections in Iraq went better than many expected. In the safe Shiite areas turnout was higher than expected. In Sunni areas, unfortunately, many polling places never even opened, or not a single person voted at the ones that did. So while the legitimacy of the election will be decided by the Iraqi people themselves over the course of the next few weeks, it is at least a solid step in the right direction. The U.S. must be careful to proceed correctly from here.

Those who know me I hope believe me when I say that I'm rooting for George Bush's plan to succeed and for democracy to take hold in the middle east. I strongly believe that it will not. I strongly believe that he has gone about this process in entirely the wrong fashion. But if it works, I will be happy.

So let's hope that it does. Let's hope for peace to spread, not hatred.

Update: Kos makes a good point. We're not out of the woods yet.
posted by CB @ 9:36 AM  
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


Recent Posts
Archives
Contact Me
Email me
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER