The Jaker

Mostly rational politics, with occasional rants about how a few crazy Republicans are ruining the country.


Support The Jaker


Monday, February 28, 2005
LA Times says Bono should lead the World Bank
Longtime readers (not sure if September counts as a long time ago) will remember that I'm equally enthusiastic about U2 as I am about progressive politics. Thanks to an editorial in today's LA Times, I'm able to write a post about both.

The Times is recommending that Bono be appointed the next president of the World Bank.

While that would likely mean no concerts for awhile after this summer, I'm still in favor. As the piece notes, Bono has perfected the art of framing this issue so that it's nearly impossible to ignore. His emphasis on the ability of America to improve its "brand" by committing itself to world poverty relief should strike any politician interested in leaving his mark on the world as compelling.

His efforts have been phenomenal for awhile, and I've often linked on this site to http://www.data.org/ and http://www.one.org/. Bono's nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, but what he'd really like is a legitimate platform to encourage people to start listening. Perhaps the LA Times has got the right idea.
posted by CB @ 1:12 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi,

    Just surfing around for similar sites to mine with information on budget gorda travel virgin and came across your blog.
    Great site you have here, does budget gorda travel virgin seem a popular amongst bloggers? I've thought of putting up a blog related to budget gorda travel virgin on my web site.... but I'm not sure if it would be of help yet.

    Thanks for letting me nose around :)
    Take care.
    Steward.

     
  • At 1:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was just browsing various blogs as I was doing a search on the phrase legitimate home business, and I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done with your blog, even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for. I appreciate your postings, and your blog is a good example of how a blog should be done. I've only just recently started a legitimate home business website - feel free to visit it when you get a chance if you wish. Much success, Eric.

     
  • At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a email india marketing site/blog. It pretty much covers email india marketing related stuff. Plus you can advertise to billions using our email india marketing tools.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


Recent Posts
Archives
Contact Me
Email me
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER