The Jaker

Mostly rational politics, with occasional rants about how a few crazy Republicans are ruining the country.


Support The Jaker


Thursday, April 14, 2005
Update on the Pope
In the last few days the momentum has shifted away from Tettamanzi of Milan toward Ratzinger of Germany. I'm not a huge fan of either, since they're both conservatives, but Ratzinger I think is the worse of the two. I'm hoping I don't hear his name.

I have my odds below which favor Europeans, but personally I'm rooting for a latin American - Rodriguez Maradiaga of Honduras or Claudio Hummes of Brazil. I'd also be happy with Chistoph Schonborn of Austria.
posted by CB @ 2:28 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 11:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like the idea of Arinze a lot. He's in the ideal age-range for the next pope, according to cardinal sentiment (he's 72 right now), and he bridges the divide between developing African nations (where he could do some real good by promoting contraception to prevent the spread of AIDS) and Europe (he's lived in Rome for a number of years). He's said that he's not sure the church is ready for a black Pope, but why not finally be at the forefront of something? Imagine the Catholic Church paving the way for a greater diversity of world leaders!

     
  • At 12:46 AM, Blogger gecko said…

    I have heard that Arinze is quite the conservative, so I think promotion of contraception is a non sequitur.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


Recent Posts
Archives
Contact Me
Email me
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER