The Jaker

Mostly rational politics, with occasional rants about how a few crazy Republicans are ruining the country.


Support The Jaker


Monday, June 19, 2006
Will I be vegetarian in 10 years?
I'm finding it more difficult every day to square my self-proclaimed progressive liberalism with being an unabashed and enthusiastic meat-eater. Some things I steer clear of for emotional or ethical reasons, including venison and lamb. Can't eat deer (perhaps the Bambi factor, though I've never seen it), and it seems cruel to eat young animals like lambs. But I didn't know until reading this that most lamb we (or you) eat is actually younger than 10-months old!

But then, it's a slippery slope, isn't it? Is it really better to eat 2 year old cow than 8 month old lamb? I don't think so.

As of now, I can't even imagine what my diet would consist of without at least chicken and turkey (my red meat consumption has decreased significantly in recent years due to health-consciousnessness). But if the day does come when I feel bad for having served (and eaten) chateaubriand at my wedding, it will perhaps signify that a serious rethink of the American diet (or at least the bleeding-heart urban liberal diet) is underway.
posted by CB @ 3:52 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 3:22 PM, Blogger J said…

    health consciousness? or my sister?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


Recent Posts
Archives
Contact Me
Email me
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER