The Jaker

Mostly rational politics, with occasional rants about how a few crazy Republicans are ruining the country.


Support The Jaker


Tuesday, January 11, 2005
Spitzer 2006
Last night I went to a Young Professionals for Spitzer event in Manhattan that I "hosted". I put that in quotations because I was among ~30 "hosts". It was a pretty good event, with great attendance, and a nice concise, funny, engaging, and honest speech from Eliot Spitzer, who's running to be NY governor in 2006. Check out the info here: http://spitzer2006.com

I'd never seen Eliot speak live before, and I have to say that he's a better politician than I would have guessed. He gave a good stump speech without notes (somewhat impressive for ~2 yrs before the election date) and hit on just the right points for the audience. The key theme was that he is fighting for fairness, honesty and integrity in business, so the consumer is protected. And though a "stump speech", his style was very conversational. For example, people often say/write that Spitzer is bad for business (he hurts stock prices, which forces layoffs, etc.). Rather than skipping this criticism, Eliot actually said the phrase "Some people say I'm bad for business", and then proceeded to lay out why he disagrees. He did this on two or three different topics. It came across as very honest and forthright. He doesn't want to spoon-feed talking points, but rather make a coherent argument for his side of things.

Anyway, I'm happy to be volunteering for the campaign, and hope to see him elected in 2006.
posted by CB @ 4:00 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


Recent Posts
Archives
Contact Me
Email me
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER