The Jaker

Mostly rational politics, with occasional rants about how a few crazy Republicans are ruining the country.


Support The Jaker


Thursday, July 07, 2005
SC: The Plot Thickens
Rumor has it that Rehnquist will also announce his retirement this week. Obviously, this complicates things, and partially compels me to take back my earlier statement that Al Gonzales won't be nominated. If there are 2 openings, I think it's highly likely that we'll get one solid conservative - such as Luttig or Alito - and one slightly less solid conservative whose demographics gives the GOP a lift - like Gonzales, Prado, Garza, or Edith Jones.

It kills me that Bush now has this chance to inflict his brand of conservatism on the country for years/decades to come.
posted by CB @ 12:05 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My theory is this: Karl Rove is orchestrating criticism of Gonzales in order to make him appear more moderate than he really is. By attacking Gonzales, the Republicans are convincing the Dems that he's an O'Connoresque moderate. After Bush has succeeded, then he can add another Scalia/Thomas originalist in addition to Gonzales to replace Rhenquist and O'Connor. Just remember how smart and cunning Rove can be.

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger CB said…

    Yea, I've thought about that one. Personally, I think Rove gets a little more credit than he should, but I wouldn't be incredibly surprised if that was indeed what was going on. If I had to bet on it, I'd doubt it. I don't think the many different conservative groups are that coordinated - and if they are then may god have mercy on us all.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 


Recent Posts
Archives
Contact Me
Email me
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER